Safer Dating Tips
Following safety tips can’t guarantee anyone’s safety. Not following safety tips doesn’t cause rape or sexual violence. The one and only cause of rape is rapists. What these tips can do is help you feel more secure, and make you less vulnerable to an abuser who is looking for an easy target.
- Open your own beverages.
- Don't share or exchange drinks.
- Never leave a drink unattended.
- Don't drink anything that tastes unusual.
- Have first dates or blind dates in public places, drive yourself.
- Never leave a party with someone you just met.
- Have money for a taxi.
- Don’t forget to charge your phone, and carry it with you.
- Be aware of people around you, if something or someone makes you uncomfortable trust your instincts. It’s okay to leave.
- Talk openly about sex and keep talking as you move deeper into the relationship.
- Be direct and honest.
- Tell someone you trust your exact plans for your date, including what time you plan to be home.
- If you see something say something- check in with your friends and take care of each other.